small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: <strong>may contain profanity and adult content</strong>

Wednesday, June 2

may contain profanity and adult content


This coming Sunday our local newspaper the Kansas City Star is doing a story on the hip and happening thing known as blogging. The story will debut in the paper’s FYI section and will feature a handful of local blogger’s including yours truly. As part of his research for the story, the writer, a Mr. Tim Engle, has started his own blog that deals with the ins and outs of writing such a story. Who knew that writing such a piece for a national newspaper could be such a complicated process? I did find out from reading his updates that I almost got cut out of the mix because of my “explicit and profane language. But as we all know, the best thing about doing a blog is the amount of freedom you have to say what you want and feel. Ever since I started writing on the web back in 2000, I’ve had many a discussion with friends and reader’s on my habit of gleefully abusing the Kings English. Cursing is like smoking or drinking, it’s not for everyone, and everyone does it a bit differently from everyone else. But where I differ is that I do it so willingly, and as a matter of fact I enjoy cursing to a great degree when I write. My only regret is that at times I feel that I could be more descriptive, but due to content and time allowances I’m sometimes forced to stick to the tried and true basics, for I truly believe that great cursing is a lost art. Shakespeare, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Red Fox, Moms Mabley, cowboys of the old west, old sailors. And let us not forget the fact that I was raised and educated at the feet of my father, who was a lifelong cop of the old school variety, and who took great delight in teaching me the word “muthafucker” and it’s many uses. And I always admired the person that could jump from one language to another whilst cursing, and having been at the receiving end of a cussing done completely in a Latin tongue, I can attest to it’s cutting edge. It seems like lately the only people you can curse comfortably around are your close friends. I know that on the job I have to watch very carefully what I say around my co-workers. But when I write on my blog I know that at least I can exercise my right to free speech and say whatever floats my boat. And I know it’s not for everyone, so I want to thank the Kansas City Star, it’s editors, and especially Mr. Tim Engle for letting me a part of the story.
"and the monkey flipped the switch"

8 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

GREG....YOU ANIMAL!! Glad to see you are a part of the story, as I love reading what you have to write! And let me tell you, cursing is a part of the police officer's language as sure as hell! You have to speak the common man's language to make him understand you. Congrats on the inclusion to the Stars story!

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Greg, Congrats on the write-up. I've written before that you are the best blogger in KC. Any idea what other blogs are going to be featured in the story?

Additionally, I admire the skill and precision with which you use profanity.

Rock on,

Tony
www.tonyskansascity.com

9:11 PM  
Blogger Greg Beck said...

thanks guy's, go the the link in my post and you'll who the rest of the featured bloggers are.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Greg Beck said...

thanks guy's, go the the link in my post and you'll who the rest of the featured bloggers are.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Greg Beck said...

thanks guy's, go the the link in my post and you'll who the rest of the featured bloggers are.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Greg Beck said...

that's fuckin annoying isn’t it?

9:47 PM  
Blogger Satyavati devi dasi said...

hey hon
congratulations.. and don't ever change a thing about who you are or how you write.. remember that time i used all those bad words in ONE SENTENCE? who else could i do that for except you?

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the reaction of people reading your blog.
Pic

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home