small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: <strong>catching up, part uno</strong>

Wednesday, August 18

catching up, part uno


Ok, let’s see if I can catch you all up from the past few days. Friday me and Mito went to the Uptown Theater for the annual Pitch Magazine music awards. This is a yearly function to honor and showcase local music talent here in Kansas City. This was my first time going and most likely my last. I dig the concept but I came away very unimpressed by it all. We got there in time to see the opening kickoff, which featured Kansas City’s own Marching Cobras Drill Team, who in my opinion are one of the most overplayed commodities in town, next to Buck O’Neil. Or was it simply the idea of black kids doing their thing in front of a bunch of drunken jaded Kansas City musicians? Oh, thru musicianship and the vigor of youth the Cobras did steal the show by the way. Sitting at a table across from us were the boys from Descension, a local metal band who as I’ve said before, I really like. How can you not dig a metal band that hits the stage wearing the full-on metal gear? Bat wings, skulls, and face paint. And now that I think of it I don’t think I’ve ever seen these cats in public without their gear on. But anyway they were all sitting at the table across from us dressed in all their metal finest, which I thought rocked. But at what seemed like every chance they got the fuckin cats who were hosting the show would call attention to em. I asked Mito were they fuckin with the band and at first she assured me that wasn’t the case, that one of the hosts really liked the band and was drunk and just doing the “shout-outs”. But the shit kept on all night and I don’t care what people said, I know when someone’s getting fucked with. But the cats from Descension seemed to take it in stride, so I kept my mouth mostly shut. Every so often we’d take a trip to the bar inside the Uptown where’d we grab some drinks and smoke a few. They had the Kansas City Chiefs on the big screen so that place had a crowd of it’s own it seemed. But I swear I’ve never seen so many local hipsters in one spot at the same time, if there’d been a fire the alternative scene in Kansas City would’a been wiped out like the fuckin dinosaurs. Being with Mito who was doing a good job of stopping my heart with the dress she had on, meant I kept on my best behavior, or at least until they announced the best punk band category. I can’t remember who won, but I do recall using my loud voice in protest. Just before we left I ran into the guy’s from Vibrolux (did I spell that right?) who also are never seen in public without their work clothes on. Though theirs is quite the opposite from Descension, being dressed out in glam rock drag and all that. But as we all know, because you wear a dress and garters don’t mean you can’t rock out. I can’t bitch too much, I got to hang out with one of my favorite people and see some folks, so all in all a good evening.
"and the monkey flipped the switch"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We weren't too thrilled either. Check it out:

http://www.pitch.com/issues/2004-08-19/dogg.html

Next year, I think you'll see the editorial folks in greater control of this event (instead of the promotion people). Shawn Edwards? What were they thinking?

T.O.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home