small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: I'm coming and hells coming with me

Tuesday, July 12

I'm coming and hells coming with me



Best quote of the week;
“The older you get the less you give a goddamn about peer pressure”
Some nameless guy I overheard on the TV.

My apartment here in lovely Midtown Kansas City sits in the middle of what’s called the Art Ghetto. If a cat walks two blocks south he’ll run into the Kemper Museum of art, The Nelson Art Gallery, and the Art Institute, all within a block of each other. My neighborhood is populated by students, and instructors from the Art Institute, “free spirits”, old hippies, drug dealers, stinkin ass crackheads, stinkin bums, the rich “eccentrics”, stoners, kind’a normal families, and “plain” folk like me, and you got quite the rockin little neighborhood.

Except for the ten years I owned a home I’ve lived in that neighborhood since the early eighties. As a matter of fact I’m in the same apartment I had before I owned the house. When I sold the house I found out my old place was open and I jumped right on it, so I guess I can say that I really like the neighborhood and the place I live in. The only things I have issues with are students, bums, and parking. Now parking and bums are just some of the everyday shit that a cat living in Midtown deals with. But the one thing that chaps my ass are some of the students, and that’s mainly because they don’t have any sense of propriety.

What you got here are a bunch of young cats going to school either on the family dime or some sort of scholarship. Mom and dad puts up the rent for the apartment and the only responsibility they have is showing up at the Art Institute everyday. So when they’re not learning how to draw a circle or the hottest trend in papier-mâché, they’re usually fuckin something up like what happened this morning. I’m sitting in front of my computer at a quarter to five checking out the news, cough cough, and what do I hear, some muthafucker in my back parking lot setting off what sounds like bottle rockets.

And I know that the only muthafucker’s up at this time of the morning doing that kind’a shit are some fuckin baggy pants wearing, backpack carrying, stoner art students. I swear that after turning off the TV I could even hear that stupid ass stoner laugh. Then as I’m leaving for work I see in front of my building that some cocksucker had set fire to the large pile of furniture that’s been sitting on the curb for the past couple of weeks. That kind of shit just makes me want to sit in the dark and ball bat some muthafuckers. But that’ll be wrong wouldn’t it?

"and the monkey flipped the switch"

7 Comments:

Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

""That kind of shit just makes me want to sit in the dark and ball bat some muthafuckers.""

Not if you say I am sorry first

11:49 AM  
Blogger Nightmare said...

I'll help you crack some fucking heads! Hey Death...Do you ever go to Grinders and get a snack or a adult beverage or 6?

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll always help you teach the children well. Should we Gesso their cars, or maybe sabotage the upcoming white stripes concert?

and where are these kids getting their supplies that coldsnow has to close down the westport store?

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"gesso" their cars??? whats that mean?
--- so asks the sister

4:51 PM  
Blogger Matty said...

"...someday a real rain is gonna come..." Fuckin' art school whores.

2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear the sister -


"Gesso" is the Italian word for "chalk" (akin to the English word "gypsum"), and is a powdered form of the mineral calcium carbonate used in art. Gesso was traditionally mixed with animal glue, usually rabbit-skin glue, to use as an absorbent primer coat for panel painting with tempera paints. This mixture is rather brittle and susceptible to cracking, thus making it unsuitable for priming canvas.


Acrylic gesso
Modern acrylic "gesso" is actually a combination of calcium carbonate with an acrylic polymer medium and a pigment. It is sold premixed for both sizing and priming a canvas for painting. While it does contain calcium carbonate to increase the absorbency of the primer coat, Titanium dioxide or titanium white is often added as the whitening agent. This allows the "gesso" to remain flexable enough to use on canvas. High concentrations of calcium carbonate will cause the resulting film to dry to a brittle surface susceptible to cracking.

Acrylic gesso can also be colored, either commercially by replacing the titanium white with another pigment, such as carbon black, or by the artist them self, with the addition of an acrylic paint. Acrylic gesso can be odoriferous, due to the presence of ammonia and/or formaldehyde which are added in small ammounts as preservatives against spoilage. Pre-gessoed canvases can be obtained commercially.

Acrylic gesso is a modern art material, and has an unproven record as a primer for oil paintings. Many of the solvents used in oil painting, such as turpentine or odorless mineral spirits (OMS), will leach some oil through a thin acrylic primer coat and damage the canvas underneath. And, while a pure acrylic polymer is more flexible than traditional animal size, the addition of calcium carbonate increases the brittleness of the primer coat. Thus, the archival nature of acrylic gesso on canvas is uncertain.


Gesso and sculpture
Gesso is also used by sculptors, to prepare the shape of the final sculpture (fused bronze) or directly as a material for sculpting. A collection of gesso sculptures is properly called a gypsotheque.




This entry is from Wikipedia, the leading user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (see full disclaimer)

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn.........thanx........
--so says the sister

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home