small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: Matisyahu

Wednesday, November 2

Matisyahu



I was introduced to reggae many years ago by way of Bob Marley and always dug it, but the bad thing with a lot of reggae to me was that after a set it all started to mesh together. Which wasn’t really important because what I stayed to hear was some of the most uplifting music I’ve ever listened too. To me next to gospel and blues, reggae actually moved my head in a different direction.

It made me angry, happy, want to cry out and find out more about god. But like god and gospel and blues I’ve moved on in the latter years of my life and have forsaken reggae. But the other day I’m driving home from work and I heard this song on the radio that made me pull over and stop the car so I could hear it better.

It was this cat singing this reggae song so uplifting and spiritual that I was just fucked up over hearing it. I found out later that it was put out by this Jewish cat that happens to sing reggae by the name of Matisyahu. I’ve always been a believer that no matter your color or what-the-fuck-ever, if you sing something from the heart it’ll carry over all boundaries. So I want to let you all hear this song cause it makes me happy and I’ve got to dig a cat that keeps his faith true along with his musical loves.


"and the monkey flipped the switch"

5 Comments:

Blogger Joe Miller said...

In a million years, I never would have expected Hasidic reggae.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Kinky said, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore. K Sose

7:49 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

AWESOME!!! I love it. I like most reggae music as well as Ska. This is good. I couldn't beleive it when I launched the video. I was not expecting to see a full on Jewish guy with the beard, hat, clothing and everything!

It's so uplifting. I love the sound...makes me want to dance. lol

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He'll be in Lawrence next week. A friend of mine saw him in Dallas a few weeks ago and said it was a great show.

what station did you hear this on?

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the buzz 96.5

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home