small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: judgement

Tuesday, January 31

judgement



I see that Coretta Scott King has died; I’ve always liked and respected her if for nothing else she never forgot her husband’s dream and carried his work on. But her passing has made me wonder what it would be like to stand in front of Martin or Malcolm when they put me to the question. “Have I represented, have I gone the good fight?”

In all seriousness I think I’d have to bow my head and say I don’t know. I know that I’ve always been acutely aware of who I am and that I’ve never done anything to fuck that over. I’ve represented to the point that I’ve always set a good example as a positive role model. I’ve respected my parents and family by learning beyond my scope and trying to pass what I’ve learned to others. But have I fought the good fight?

That would have to be a yes and no respectively. Yes in that I think I’m that guy that people of all colors and backgrounds can look up too. Yes in that I walk the walk and talk the talk as any true man should. Yes in that I’ve always striven to break the mold and step away from the hoard and do not what I think you want to hear but what I feel is right.

But then I’d have to fess up and say no to that I haven’t gone the distance that I could have gone. A person gets older and life becomes more comfortable and the fist pumping lessens. I get tired of all the shouting and posturing and instead of changing the world, I’m just happy with who I am. I wonder would Martin and Malcolm weigh that against me?



"and the monkey flipped the switch"

2 Comments:

Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

To me being happy with who you are is noble in a way, unless you allow your self to be subjegated by others, and refusing to accept that you are an equal among men and women, no matter what they do or have done in life.

12:53 PM  
Blogger FletcherDodge said...

I think eschewing the fist pumping is a sign of wisdom that we acquire as we grow older. I know I have grown much less interested in ideology than in getting to know people on a personal level.

Your other comments remind me of something Shakespeare once wrote...

"This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man."

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home