small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: Million dollar baby

Wednesday, January 18

Million dollar baby



I was hanging around the house the other day and “Million dollar baby” happened to be on the TV and I’m guessing I caught the last half of it. I’ve always hesitated seeing this movie due to all my friends telling me that it had an unhappy ending and I’m not really down with unhappy endings and shit. But since it was on I settled down to watch it. It goes without saying that I’ve always been a huge fan of Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman. And as far as Hilary Swank is concerned the only thing I remember her in is “The next Karate Kid” and that really bad Buffy movie.

Anyway, I found Million dollar baby a very enjoyable movie with the exception of the end. Clint and Morgan have always meshed well and complimented each other plus they have always played the kind of men that most of us with any kind of common sense would step aside for. Hillary came through I thought as the stupid white trash chick who found a way to elevate herself and become someone. Now I’ve always thought that the stupid white trash female as well as the black hood rat chick has been sorely underestimated and the character she played showed that. All most of em lack is the big picture and Maggie Fitzgerald saw her chance and went for it. I could have also gleefully slapped her mother around and shoved her into a room full of diseased rapists for be such a fat old “cocksucker”, but that’s just me.

Now as far as the ending I thought it was done with great honor and compassion. I remember when the movie first came out every muthafucker in a powered wheelchair had something negative to say about the ending and how wrong it was. But the way I look at it, Maggie made her choice and Clint after much soul searching decided to honor her last wishes. Here were two people who clearly found a common love in each other and whither Clint saw her as a daughter or someone he loved and could eventually be with still came off as a mystery to me.

I think Maggie could have happily gone either way if you were to ask me. But the bottom line that I respected was when she saw what was happening to her, she made the decision and since she really couldn’t act on it, she asked Clint to help her. There is where I think the movie showed great respect. Maggie had the kind of sprit where she could have stayed if she wanted but also had to spirit to say when to go. So maybe the movie actually had a happy ending after all depending on how you look at shit.



"and the monkey flipped the switch"

3 Comments:

Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Great commentary on the movie. I enjoyed the movie so much that I went out and purchased a copy of it. I think Swank does a good job on the white trash chick character, and of course Eastwood and Morgan are flawless.

I would have like to kick the fat momma's ass so hard my boot came out of her mouth.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

I bought the movie but I've never seen it. Now I have no choice but to watch it. I hope it is good.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great movie. I thought the white trash family thing was just a little over the top, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it. Also, the fact that once the German boxer lands her cheap shot the movie never references her again. The whole time I wanted to know whether that bitch went to jail or something, but the movie never says. In the end, I thought that was really great since that isn't what the story is really about.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home