small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: Satan ate my hard drive

Tuesday, June 6

Satan ate my hard drive


Just thought I’d relate last evening’s activities to you. Got home from work and after settling in on the couch I had a lite dinner then I kicked back to watch the National Geographic Channel. They were showing a four hour special called the “Race to Space” depicting the shit that went on between Russia and the United states in their battle to be the first in space. It showed how it all begin during the latter day’s of World War Two to the moon landing, and it was some very cool shit to watch.

So I’m sitting there on my couch watching this and embracing my inner geek and giggling like a little nancyboy when it started raining and lightning like all kinds of muthafuckers outside. So after noticing how close the lightning was hitting I decided to go over and turn my computer off. After a couple of hours I decided to turn it back on and it booted up and let me sign in then it rebooted again? This time it came up to the Dos screen and said something about a disk read error. I couldn’t get the muthafucker to boot or even go into safe mode.

After a couple of hours I finally went in and got it to reboot from the old hard drive which I never took out but the main drive seemed to be fucked. So I had to reinstall windows XP on the main drive and in doing so I think I lost over sixty-five gigs worth of shit I had installed on it. All my programs, all my photos, all my documents, every fuckin thing I had. So as a result I couldn’t sleep last night and was over two hours late to work today. Anyone out there have any thoughts on this?

"and the monkey flipped the switch"

11 Comments:

Blogger LL said...

That same shit happened to me but I had to pay $45 for HP to tell me to do a total restart. I lost all my pictures, everything. It SUCKED. I thought a Microsoft patch was the cause. Did you recently update windows?

12:38 PM  
Blogger Greg Beck said...

it updates every few weeks but I don't think that's the issue. I think it took a power spike and that corrupted the hard drive.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Sapphire said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Sapphire said...

I know exactly how you feel. You should have called me. I have saved many computers from this type of disaster. Never! Never! Never! reinstall windows XP with out takeing at least 3 to 5 hours to try everything you can to get it back on, because window xp will reset everything includeing wipeing out all stored files.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Satyavati devi dasi said...

I've come to the conclusion that a surge strip just isn't enough. This all happened to me not too long ago and I had to get a few new parts. These days the minute I hear thunder I physically unplug everything. And I run a surge strip that buffers the phone line too, because out here in the woods we get mystery spikes and things. It sounds paranoid, but this is the only link I have to the outside world...
...so, does this mean I have to resend you all that naughty stuff??

5:40 PM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

Greg,

No thoughts on the computer thing. I got nuthin.

But how was the show? I meant to watch it, but the gf was over.

I have two favorite stories from the early days.

When all of our rockets were blowing up, someone asked von Braun what we would find when we made it to the moon. He said "At this rate, empty vodka bottles."

Later on, when someone asked him whether we should be sending people or robots into space, he replied "The nice thing about humans is that they can be mass produced by unskilled labor."

Fucking Nazi. Couldn't have made it to the moon without him though. Our Nazis were better than Russia's Nazis.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Satyavati devi dasi said...

oh, and I meant to mention.. I don't believe we ever went to the moon, either.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep only the OS on the main drive. Install a secondary drive for storage. My "C" is 40 gb and has only XP and some temporary files. Secondary "D" is 80 gb and has most of the users programs. External "G" is 80gb and usedforlong term storage and portable files/ "C" crashes, not much lost. Jus the headache of the reinstall and updates

11:08 PM  
Blogger Sapphire said...

Satyavati!.....We never went to the moon? Greeeeeeeeeeeeg.....Evermore

12:24 AM  
Blogger SmedRock said...

Unfortunately, surge protoectors are not FAST enough to stop lightning, but the chances are it was not that, it was probably a drop in power that did it. once the drive is shot like that, try booting off of the xp install disk and see if you can read it that way, or set it up as second drive the try to use explore to read it. If you can then back up what you can and get rid of the drive. I can help you in detail if you need it, just hollar.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there Greg..
Nice meeting you (briefly) the other night @ the 'cane..

I've been able to recover quite a bit from "dead" drives as of late.. so if you need a hand.. let me know.
just drop a comment on my page, or email zeropointe (at) gmail (dot) com.

Also.. I've gotten to the point where I basically LIVE by external USB drives. I run 2 250GB ones, and mirror one to the other regularly. One hell of a back up system.. you lose one, just switch drives. This won't work for the OS.. but it keeps all your other stuff safe.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home