small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: blast from the past.........hippie drum circle

Thursday, July 13

blast from the past.........hippie drum circle


she has nothing to do with the story, I just enjoy how friendly she looks



I’m so disturbed cause last night I did something I’ve never done before, I called the cops on my upstairs neighbors. Around 9:30 I started to hear the sound of conga drums and shit coming from the second floor apartment. Now bear in mind this is the same chick that I blamed in part for my dining room ceiling collapsing on me, so I’m not too hot on her to begin with.

The drums kept getting louder and louder so around ten I put some clothes on and started to go upstairs. I open my back door and ran in a group of people heading that way so I stopped em and asked nicely that when they get upstairs could they please ease up on the drumming.

After a while the noise receded and I thought all was well but then they started anew. My apartment was acting like a giant reverb chamber and not only were they beating on the drums something fierce but they started stomping their fuckin feet in unison. I couldn’t even hear my TV and even my shittin windows were rattling, so I wondered how I should handle it.

I thought about going up there and beating on the fuckin door but I knew that if I got the wrong answer my temper would start jumping so I didn’t wanna go that route. I decided to go with my last option; I called the police department dispatcher and told her about the noise. The crap was so fuckin loud that even the dispatcher could hear the noise thru the phone.

About half and hour later I heard the sound of jackboots on the stairs and then someone beating on the door upstairs. I could clearly hear the cops say that they could understand having a party and all that but the drums were a bit much and to please stop. I guess that did the trick and all the noise ended.

I hated to go that route but I guess that’s what the cops are for. I was supposed to be at a Christmas party that night but my brakes went out on the truck and it was undrivable, so I got stuck at home for the night.

Is beating on congas a Goth or a fuckin hippie thing? What the fuck is that? I kept thinking of Wicca’s in the woods for some reason. All I know is that it sounded like a bad B-movie jungle soundtrack. I had half a mind to set up my old drum kit and show em how to make some noise but that’ll be kind of petty wouldn’t it? All I want is peace and quite, and is that so much to ask? I don’t want to be the mean ass old neighbor downstairs but what the fuck?

"and the monkey flipped the switch"

5 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

No it's not a Hippie thing. It's an unbelievably selfish thing, no doubt the fruits of self-esteem education. I admire your self control, though.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

Greg,

I'm a percussionist myself (a really shitty one, but still...).

I have a really nice set of Toca congas and bongos and I love playing.

But I live in a house. Even still, I put my drums in the basement so that there would be no chance of my late-night-drunken-drumming disturbing my ancient neighbors.

Playing the congas in an apartment building is, in itself, rude to say the least.

Doing it after 9:30 at night when you have someone living below you is just begging for an ass kicking.

You did the right thing.

7:03 PM  
Blogger HateTaxes said...

Back in the day if you did not want the cops called on you, you invited the neighbors.

You asked once nicely, after that it is on them.

Oh yeah, take a swimming lesson or two, can't hurt.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Satyavati devi dasi said...

After living next door to Cracker for 11 years, me and the cops were on like first-name terms. I think the piece de resistance was the night he was out at 3 AM with the leafblower blowing the dust off the 4 wheeler and the Harley. At least your neighbours shut up when the cops came; Cracker got into the habit of cranking it to 11 and then going to the bar.

I think I have a problem with male neighbours, though. This Tuesday me and the Stalker go to court.

That's what the cops are there for. Call em anytime.

5:53 PM  
Blogger laurie01 said...

Playing congas so hard would already be disturbing. I started to learn how to play congos just only as part of my leisure moments but beating them too strong? I never did that thing.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home