small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: sweatin the small stuff

Friday, October 20

sweatin the small stuff


On Monday me and one of my coworkers had to drive a truck down to beautiful Springfield, Missouri to pick up some shit for the Man. I normally look forward too and dig driving trucks and shit but after the first fifty miles or so I turned to the cat next to me and said, “you got a CDL don’t you? Good, you can drive this muthafucker”.

Ryder went out of their way to make sure we were driving the biggest piece of shit truck they had on the fuckin lot. Between the top of the truck sounding like it was gonna blow off any minute, and the stinkin electronics going out and shit. And don’t even get me started on how slow the muthafucker was.

It was flat assed embarrassing when the mini van full of old blue hairs stopped listening to Paul Harvey long enough to flip us off as they blew past us at a lip peeling sixty miles an hour. But the drive back was real cool cause it was getting on toward evening and shit and we had the full moon as a driving companion.

I don’t know if it was the country air or what but the moon was huge. At times it seemed that if I could just stretch my arm out of the window far enough I could touch it. Another thing I dig is looking at all the farmhouses, especially at dusk. I always imagine everyone sitting down to a home cooked meal around the big table in the kitchen.

There’s Ma, wearing her apron and serving up supper and pa, just back from a long day in the fields and all the kids. I wonder what would happen if I just pulled over and knocked on the back door? Would they give me a country greeting and invite me in to sit a spell? Or would they just shoot my black ass up off their fuckin doorstep and slop me to the pigs? Such food for thought huh?

Another thing looking at all the farmhouses brought to mind. Remember back when you were a kid and you had this old mutt dog for a best friend and pet? And one day your father walked up and told your bed-wetting ass that Sparky’s gone,
“but daddy, why did Sparky have to go away?”

And your father told you that Sparky was in a better place cause he found a farm where old Sparky could run to his heart’s delight and chase rabbits and cows and shit? And you felt better cause even though your best pal was gone, he must be having the time of his life cause he had this huge farm to run around on and all kinds of neat shit to do.

Kind’a like cough cough doggy heaven. (hint) (hint). Well I got to thinking on all that and mentioned to the cat driving how wasn’t it something how so many Black father’s living in the inner city just happened to know all these muthafucker’s with farms?

All who were owned by kind old farmers more then happy to give shelter and a new home to any old hound that needed it? I mean like how often was it that whenever the family pooch went missing that the kid was told that it’s on a farm out in the country living large like a muthafucker. Fuck, that shit was so common that you figured somewhere there’s this one farm just full of hoards of the furry muthafuckers. How is Sparky anyway?

"and the monkey flipped the switch"

5 Comments:

Blogger Assrot said...

Sparky is doing just fine. When I was a younger man, I lived out in the country on a 50 acre farm. I took anybody's dog in that wanted to drop one off. I love dogs. Always have. At one point for a few years I had 14 dogs of my own plus about 25 I took in. It was no problem. I had plenty of land for them to roam on and I lived 3 miles down a dirt road so the dogs were safe. They drank from the pond, lived in the barns and got plenty to eat between my friends butcher shop and my dad's hunting. Life was great back then. Everybody knew you could either get a dog or leave a dog with old Assort. I miss those days.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Spyder said...

Never thought I would say " Bless Assrot!" But there you are. I've said it & I mean it. I have 2 rescued dogs (big ones). A big sloppy kiss for Assrot!

10:20 PM  
Blogger OMMAG said...

Don't know if you care about Canadian news ...but we have a little political dustup going on today over our foreign affairs minister got off a zinger about his ex....who happens to be an opposition MP after runnng out on him and the party in one of the most outrageous displays of disloyalty ever....

Anyway your spin on the Sparky's gone to live at the farm thing put a picture in my head of Belinda and where she might be....
Hint....fun at the Broom

http://www.dustmybroom.com/?p=4588

10:22 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

My parents told me that on more than one occasion. Found out years later what actually happened to my dogs and cats. Man I was one gullible little kid lol

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason the moon is so large is because it's at perigee. The moon's rotation is eliptical, and it seems bigger right now because it is closest to the earth at this point in it's travel.
The other benefit of it's closeness is the harvest moon, the earliest rising moon cycle, named for helping farmers work the fields late bringing in the years crops.
If you have clear skies during this time, it's no wonder why people say "must be a full moon." It's hard to sleep with that big ole thing shining in your window all night!

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home