small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: just sign here

Thursday, April 5

just sign here


After work yesterday I stopped off at the Planet Sub in my neighborhood to grab a sandwich. After I placed my order I did my usual which is to grab a piece of the wall and stand there perfectly still and scan the room.

I guess it’s the old bouncer in me that makes me do shit like that and speaking of old bouncer skills. For the past few days here at work I’ve been amusing myself by seeing how long I can walk three to four feet behind someone before they know I’m there.

Years ago I learned the neat trick of how to walk on the heels and balls of my feet without making a sound, avoiding the peripheral vision of the person I’m walking behind.

It’s actually kind’a fun to follow someone clear down the hall and into another room, stand there for a few seconds then tap them on the shoulder and watch em freak out to suddenly see my big ass standing a few inches behind em.

But anyway, I’m standing inside the sub shop and I notice this table set up in one corner covered with laptops and what looks like electronic day planners and such. What’s going on is that the folks at the table are pushing first time credit cards to collage students.

And they’re doing it there because the sub shop is in the same neighborhood as three or four local collages. So I got to watch this chick enter all her information into one of the day planner thingies then after a really short wait get handed her credit card.

Now as a cat who’s currently enjoying his third time being completely debt free, I’m so fuckin wary of credit cards and understand how hard you try to keep shit in check; they can fuck your world up.

And as I’m watching this young chick sign away I’m hoping that she knows what she’s doing and doesn’t end up being fucked down the road. Meaning that if she’s late with her payment by one hour she’s fucked, if she goes over her limit she’s fucked.

But then my order came out and I got distracted but not before I watched the chick go to the counter to make her first foray into debt by ordering a sandwich. She's so fucked.

Oh, and I guess I should add that every person inside the sub shop seemed to be of collage age. And the five student types in line ahead of me all paid for their meals with a credit card. I’m just saying and shit.

"and the monkey flipped the switch"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, this is fucked, and it's an epidemic with the kids today. I only buy gas with a credit card, and pay the bill off monthly. My kids don't even carry cash, just plastic. They'll whip out a card to pay for gum. Drives me fucking nuts. We went to a movie together, and they whipped out the plastic, but the theatre didn't take plastic, so I had to fork out the cash to get us in.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Well Hell Michelle said...

Greg, if you ever sneak up on me like that, I'm going to hurt you... right after I have a heart attack :)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

My rule of thumb is never buy anything on credit that you won't even have anymore by the time it's paid for.

It sucks to have to pay interest on something you don't even have.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are also a ninja, no f*ing way!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Paying off the cards every month is the only way. I've got my stuff all paid off except for the townhouse, car (paid off in December) and the RV. Debt is the killer. Unsecured credit card debt is the way to a long living hell.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home