small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: sweatin the small stuff

Friday, May 11

sweatin the small stuff


Yesterday the MAN sent me down to Greensburg, Kansas. For those of you not from around here, it’s the small town down past Wichita that got hit by the F5 tornado.

By most estimates the tornado was almost two miles wide at one point with winds in excess of two-hundred and fifty miles and hour and at last count twelve people have lost their lives.

It was the most fucked up shit I have ever seen.

I’ve seen a lot of flood and tornado damage over the years and they’re all bad. But you know those old black and white photos of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan after they were hit by the Bomb? Picture those scenes in color and you might get a feel for what this town went thru.

But no picture does justice to what the folks of Greensburg, Kansas had to endure.

I’m walking around and the main thought in my mind is that anyone survived this shit at all.






You know, we’re only human and it’s in our nature to bitch.

We bitch about the line in the drive-thru; we feel put out if the store is out of our favorite ice cream. We complain to no end when we can’t get what we want as soon as we want it.

But when I see shit like this I want to stop.

Because when I see everything gone, the homes, the stores, everything that makes us feel human and the folks that lost it all asking me how I’m doing?





I feel like some kind of jerk cause I’m too choked up to reply.

"and the monkey flipped the switch"

7 Comments:

Blogger Spyder said...

Kinda humbles a person. I feel...blessed...that's what I feel.

10:23 AM  
Blogger OMMAG said...

Here's hoping that every last survivor gets all the help they need to rebuild their lives!

1:43 PM  
Blogger SmedRock said...

That was the heeling I had when I stepped into Haiti and Somalia. What i thought was good about this was the surrounding communities stepping up with out a thought and getting down to business.

Good luck and fortune to those in need.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Satyavati devi dasi said...

You're in such a good position though, because you actually get to do hands-on stuff to help people, rather than just watch helplessly from whatever corner of the country.

You have no idea how badly I wanted to get to NO after Katrina. If you can believe this, I had signed up with the RC or some other organization, and they called me to go, but my job wouldn't let me.

Oh, that's right.. you know about my job.. you won't have any trouble believing that.

Point is, you're lucky that you have a job where you get to help people. A lot of people don't have that.

5:43 PM  
Blogger New York City's Watchdog said...

I feel ya on that... totally feel ya on it.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing the National Guard was on hand, right?

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, so terrible. I really can't even imagine what that's like or what I would even do in that situation. Where the hell do you even start?

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home