small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: <strong>thinkin</strong>

Friday, January 23

thinkin

I’ve been thinking recently of how fragile my job is. Do you know I’ve been on the Job for over thirteen years and on the books I’m still listed as a temporary employee? I started out working disasters per an on call basis, which meant that once the disaster ended I stood down. And I more or less bounced in bars or worked the unemployment until I got called up again. In the beginning when I first started I told myself that I’d do this for maybe a year and then go find a real job. But I started digging it and I found myself getting called out more and more. I found myself adjusting my lifestyle to make it work around me having to leave town without notice for weeks at a time. This went on for some years until I got a call one day asking me if I would take an assignment in the regional office. With the new assignment came all the benefits of a full time employee, health insurance, vacations, and all that good shit. No more packing up at the end of a disaster and heading home until next time, now it was a full forty per week with overtime. I even got sent to the secret mountain a few times for training and such. It’s so easy to get caught up in the day to day and forget that it’s all a façade, because behind it all, as far as the governments concerned I’m still a temporary employee. I’m nothing more then a highly trained Kelly Girl with mad skills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home