small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: Hurricane

Wednesday, April 26

Hurricane



This won’t surprise any of my friends but the older I get the more I dislike change. I like knowing what shirts I plan on wearing during the week. I enjoy getting up every morning at five and turning on the TV and the internet. I enjoy the fact that my life has a certain cadence to it. I even enjoy the fact that in a lot of circumstances I’m predictable. You might even call it a secret that when people tell me I’m set in my ways, I actually don’t mind because for years I was very impulsive and I see this as an improvement.

I know change is a way of life. People die or move on and things become different and I suppose that’s ok because it’s inevitable. And why am I talking about all this, because word has come down the pike that the Hurricane in Westport is going under new ownership. And in a world full of death and disease, terrorism, high gasoline and high stress jobs and ADD and bullshit heaped upon bullshit, my favorite bar is going under the surgeon’s knife.

A new doctor who wants to spiff the place up and make it all pretty and appealing to the upscale pretty crowd. A place where you might get in or you might not depending on how you look. The Hurricane looks to be joining the every growing list of classic Kansas City bars and clubs that have gone under the knife of new ownership and had their fuckin balls removed so as to not frighten the kids. Remember the Grand Emporium or the LoneStar, these are two clubs that went under the knife and lost their charm and the thing that made em stand out from everything else and get noticed across the nation.

I’m not berating the new ownership of the Hurricane or any other club owner. Because isn’t that why you buy a bar or club, but to make it your own vision? But it just saddens me that after a fucked up day dealing with the MAN’s shit that instead of going to the Hurricane and burning off stress and seeing familiar faces, that might all go away.

We all have that place whither it be a local bar or church or the wife and kids, where we all feel a lot more human. Where we all breathe a little easier and the smiles come quicker and we’re in the company of friends that understand us and let us be us. I really wish the Hurricane the best and please don’t laugh at me for lamenting what could be the passing of my favorite watering hole. It’s like I said earlier, I hate change.


"and the monkey flipped the switch"

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the news. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. My thoughts and prayers are with you in this time of grief. Hopefully after an appropriate amount of time passes, you will find it within yourself to seek out another safe haven. Best of luck to you, Greg.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for me, it was otto's, amongst other places.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

Years ago, mine was Parody Hall. I lived at 39th & Clark, so Parody was within walking distance. You can't beat a fucking bar that's within walking distance AND has great music.

When it moved to the River Quay and died, I moved to The Grand Emporium. Now it's gone too...to a fate worse than death. I don't even want to talk about it. It still hurts too much.

Let's hope that your beloved Hurricane survives with it's dignity and unique clientele intact.

If not, you might consider Davy's Uptown. Just a thought.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Roldy said...

Oh crap...that does sound very, very bad. Sod that poncey crap for a game of soldiers.

The loss of a good local boozer can be like the death of a close friend. I hope it doesn't go as bad as it sounds.

6:41 PM  
Blogger FletcherDodge said...

A great American social commentator and philosoper once said "The more things change, the more they suck!"

10:31 PM  
Blogger Sapphire said...

Look at it this way. Things change night and day. Old things pass and new things come. I myself let go of those things of the past and move on for thier is always another place better than before. I know how you feel alot of us made good friends thier and those of us who came together in the twilight hours became family. Or to put it to you in another way that's like taking king kong and placeing him in new york. That's like takeing down my favorite painting at the nelson atkins museum when they did changes. Grrrrrr. Speaking of paintings They better not do anything with the tatto art that has my sis's name on it. You keep me posted on what they do with those paintings.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Sapphire said...

I'm not done yet.
That's like when they took the Evolution out of XO and turned it into static shock which I don't think will last long.
That's like when the took the man out of missy b's and turned it pretty. Even thou it looks like a woman's bar now which made it look more classy and upscale and more gay. Shit! if it was not for the cane I would have not have fell in love with a beautiful woman. Oh well! At least I can still go to the nelson's for a glass of wine and sweet music which is a place I go when I need to get away from everybody. To the old cane which I hate saying this nevermore. Let's hope they don't cut the balls off..to the new can evermore may more dreams come true for the new...Grrrrrr...Evermore

11:04 PM  
Blogger Sapphire said...

I just read the artical. It looks bad for the old. Well thier goes the rough neck balls of the place.
Keep a tranq dart ready cause if greg ever snaps like they say in jaws. Were going to need a bigger boat...or a million dollers to buy out the guy and keep it the way it is just to keep the big guy happy..Evermore

Ok I'm done now...Evermore

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home