small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: <strong>puttin his foot up some ass</strong>

Friday, July 2

puttin his foot up some ass


The "right-on" quote of the week.
Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other nigger as they're walking up and down the street, and they think they're hip. They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere”.

Bill Cosby said all this during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference in Chicago this week.

All this goes back to May when Bill had enough and broke his foot off in the collective ass’s of black folk across the country. He had gone off on blacks telling em how they had more or less thrown away all the opportunities that had been fought for during the civil rights movement. And they need to stop blaming the white Man for all their problems and get their shit together. Instead of backing Bill and agreeing with him some black leader’s accused him of going against policy and airing black folks dirty laundry in public. But Bill stayed his ground and told folks to kiss his jello pudding eating ass cause they know he’s right. He said it’s time black people turned the mirror around and realize that it’s not the white man’s fault that shit’s the way it is. You can’t blame the white man for teen pregnancy and high school dropouts. You can’t keep blaming the white man because you can’t read well enough to fill out a simple job application. And being black and in prison doesn’t make you any kind of political prisoner, it just means you fucked up and got caught breaking the law. Well, you know what? I fully agree with ole Bill, in my few moments of lucidity I’ve written more then a few times on how the black man needs to get his head out’a his ass and get on with it. I’ve also talked about how if I had one wish for black folk in America it’ll be to remove the word “nigger” from it’s vocabulary forever. That fucking word kept black folk down in the past and it’s still keeping black folk down today. It’s keeping black folk down because like Bill said, “racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children”. And the word nigger is bandied about so much now on the TV and radio that you even hear white kids greeting each other with “what’s up my nigger”? So even though Bill and I disagree on a lot of issues like censorship, I love to give him a hug and shake his hand for what he’s saying as of late. That’s one advantage of having money and fame, when you decide to make a statement people tend to listen.
And since I’m on a role about black folk, I want to make mention about something that is bothering me. A group calling itself the Mainstream Coalition, plans to hang out in local churches to make sure the clergy doesn’t violate IRS rules on electioneering. The reason this group thinks they should exist is to monitor and preserve separation of church and state, and they’re out to drop a dime on anybody pulling politico soapbox time during church services. The Coalition says that the Internal Revenue Service should investigate church endorsements of political candidates and that church personnel and resources are supposed to be used for religious and charitable purposes, not electioneering. You know what? This is a real gray area for me. I’m all about the separation of church and state, but I also know that in the black community, the church is one of the few places that a person running for office can get up and speak on what he or she’s all about before a large group of people. I needed some expert help so I called up my aged mother and asked her about it, because I knew she’s all into that kind of shit being a head usher and the regular churchgoer that she is. So she filled me in on some points I already knew and some I didn’t know. She told me that the church regularly allows folks running for office to get up and speak their piece, but the pastor/church will not and cannot endorse any particular one. They will only allow them time to speak and state their cause. This is something that goes back for many years. Mostly due to the fact that for many years the church was the only place where blacks could gather in any number without getting fucked with. Hmmm, now that I thinking back on what my dear mother said, I could see in the proper contest a person running for office speaking before the congregation on what they’re all about. But I’m still in a gray area about the Mainstream Coalition’s mission. Any body got a viewpoint on this?

"and the monkey flipped the switch"

4 Comments:

Blogger Rusty said...

I'm with the 'Cos on this. It gets old and sad to hear people (black, white, whoever) blame their problems on something else when the root of the problems lie within them, and their unwillingness to put forth effort to try and make things better.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Satyavati devi dasi said...

I agree with you 100%. It's real easy to slide into that 'being a victim' mentality. Women also like to do this.. generally at the same time they're campaigning for 'equal rights'. Also, I never knew any political people ever came and spoke in churches. That's really neat to know. :) smooch

4:23 PM  
Blogger Bryan said...

Thank you greg!!!! I have said what you and Bill have been saying for awhile, but I am 'whitey'. While several of my black friends tend to agree with me (or me with them as we have been talked this up for some time now) I have one 'friend of color' (as he likes to be called) that tells me since I am white I have no right to talk about such issues. Maybe the 'Coz will help push EVERYONE in the right direction!

Oh and my buddy laid a smackdown on his High School son when dropping the n-bomb on his friends after my buddies told him to NEVER, EVER use that word..I've never seen him so pissed!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

I was hoping you would say something about Mr. Cosby. I remember listening to his comedy albums when I was around 11 years old.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home