small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: <strong>dinner & movie</strong>

Tuesday, February 15

dinner & movie


Last night over a Valentine Day’s dinner of Taco Bell and conversation Michelle and I realized that this made the third year in a row that we’ve hung out together on Valentine’s Day. And after congratulating each other on our fine taste we clinked our cans of Dr. Pepper together and sat back to watch the newest movie that she brought over to make me watch. Well I’m here to say that Michelle finally knocked one out of the park. We watched the Bill Murray movie “Lost in Translation” and I loved that muthafucker. And yes, let’s get this out of the way before I go any farther; it is a chick movie.

There, I fuckin said it, I watched a chick movie and dug the fuck out’a it. The film revolves around this aging movie star who like a lot of American actors decides to do his product schilling overseas. Bill Murray plays his part perfectly, which is that of a man in a strange city surrounded by people speaking a strange language who’s a bit lost and lonely beyond words. I really identified with his character since I know how it is being in a strange town living out of a hotel not knowing anyone or where to go or whatever. In short, you got a tank full of gas and a pocket full of money and you’re all dressed to go. But you want to connect with another human being so bad that you find yourself hanging out in the hotel lounge unable to sleep.

Take it from me; it can be the loneliest feeling in the fucking world being from somewhere else and on the outside. Sharing his fate is Scarlett Johansson who’s a young wife with her husband on a business trip. Both of them are in Tokyo and the beginning of the film shows how the both of them try to deal with their present lot in life. Bill Murray as the respected aging actor being shuttled around by his Japanese handlers from take to take, and Scarlett Johansson as the young bride hanging out in the hotel unable to sleep left to her own devices whilst her photographer husband is out working. But the two meet and they both recognize the kindred souls they both share. I can’t speak for Michelle but the relationship of Bill and Scarlett reminded me so much of the relationship that exits between the both of us. Years in between us but so cool with each other and the bond we share that it seems a moot point. And that was the relationship the two in the movie shared.

Two people from diverse backgrounds and ages finding each other in the world and seeing each other for what they are and digging it, knowing full well that sooner or later it must all come to an end. And you know the best part about the whole fuckin movie? And I’ll admit that I was so afraid that it wouldn’t, but the movie had a very realistic and happy ending. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson really complimented each other and they made the movie that much more enjoyable. As a matter of fact I’m gonna be stright up with a muthafucker and confess that I enjoyed “Lost in translation” better then the movie I put in after Michelle left, which was “Girls on trampolines”.

"and the monkey flipped the switch"

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg Beck said...

no matter what "superficial demographics".........whatever that term means, we rock!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I loved the movie too, it is great and was surprised at the direction. Great blog by the way. I drove here from "The Monkey Cage" blog.

Blue

2:02 PM  
Blogger Greg Beck said...

thank you

2:07 PM  
Blogger Circa Bellum said...

I agree about the movie, but then I feel that way about any movie that Scarlett Johannson is in. She is one fine hot little thang...

5:55 PM  
Blogger Nightmare said...

Yeah I loved that motherfucker too! But my girl...she thought the whole thing was dumb, but then again she likes explosions and car chases. Which is really cool and a big reason why I love the little thang.
The whole surreal feeling of searching for just one moment of peace by talking to someone who spoke the same language..I giggled the whole time I watched that movie.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Greg Beck said...

hahahahah, Japanese hookers rock!

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home