small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: <strong>all this over a cup of coffee?</strong>

Wednesday, July 7

all this over a cup of coffee?


Back in the day I used to drink coffee by the gallon. I’d get to work and by the end of the day I’d go thru maybe four to five pots during an eight-hour period. Then I had a friend who’s house I’d go over and no matter what time of day or night it was she’d always have a hot pot on. But strangely enough I’d never drink it at home, I had a coffee maker and all that but it never came to me to make my own coffee. It’s like pouring a mixed drink at home or trying to replicate something you ate in a restaurant, it just wasn’t the same. Anyway, I really liked coffee, hell; I don’t think I’ve met a cup of coffee yet I didn’t like. And with me being the kind of cat that I am I drank my coffee black or with cream and sugar, none of the fancy coffee shop coffee’s for me. Plus I just found all that shit confusing as all get out, though whilst working at the LoneStar I did develop a liking for espresso. A couple of us had this thing about doing double or triple espresso’s shots before we went on duty, just a little something to get the blood flowing and shit. But that’s not important now. One day I walked into my local Quiktrip and discovered that next to the coffee maker they had installed a machine that dispensed flavored cappuccino. Hmmm, it was hot like coffee and had my needed caffeine so I figured what the hell and tried the amaretto cappuccino. Next thing I knew I was picking myself up off the fuckin floor where apparently I had collapsed in joyous rapture. I had never tasted anything so good in my fuckin life! I loved that shit. Fuck coffee, I’m drinking this shit for the rest of my natural existence. To think that all these years I’ve been missing out on the greatest thing since the Icee. But unlike coffee, I found out that I couldn’t swill down cappuccino like I used to do coffee. I’d buy a forty-forty ounce cup of amaretto cappuccino and after a while I’d be like that little kid being forced to eat all his peas. “But I’m tired of peas! They’re all green and icky and I don’t want anymore! Don’t make me eat em!” You know what I’m sayin? So I kind’a burnt my self out on the flavored chunky goodness that was amaretto cappuccino and went back to my old friend coffee. Over the past few years I’ve purposely started limiting my coffee intake to under a pot a day. And strangely enough I’ve developed this fucked up attraction to the coffee they make at the Hurricane, to the point that it’s the only coffee I drink. Go figure huh? Cause I can guarantee that drinking that shit definitely falls under the “goddamn, how can you drink that crap?” category. But for the past week since muthafucker’s broke the pot, the Hurricane’s been coffeeless and it’s been jonesing me out. So Saturday night one of the girls tells me that she’s heading down to the Broadway coffee shop, and would I like something. I go sure and ask for some coffee and after a few minutes she walks back in and lays upon me a large cup of black coffee with three sugars and what looked like a cup of real fuckin cream. I put it all together and I swear to god that had to be the best coffee I’ve ever tasted. I never knew that coffee could taste fresh and clean? Dammit, I have gots to get out of the fuckin house more often. Makes me wonder what else I’m missing.
"and the monkey flipped the switch"

3 Comments:

Blogger Satyavati devi dasi said...

The actual secret to good coffee is perking vs. dripping, and good water. If you can find yourself an old stovetop (not electric) perk pot (Corningware made a good one) you can taste coffee nirvana. They're super cheap and easy to come by. Use filtered water if you don't have good well water, and really COLD milk. Also, for some strange reason, coffee made outside tastes better, and if you're on a boat, you can smell it perking from half a mile away. Once the pot comes to a perk, let it perk for about three minutes, then take it off the heat and let it settle. Best coffee you ever had. :)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

I am a complete coffee slut! If my day doesn't start with coffee, then my day doesn't start. And once a week I hit the local coffee shop, The Daily Grind, and indulge in a Cafe Mocha. Otherwise my coffee is hot and black. No sugar, no cream. I'm a purist.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

I used to be hard core when it came to coffee when I first started college. Now I really don't dig on the stuff. Maybe a cup once in a blue moon,

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home