small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: sweatin the small stuff

Friday, May 25

sweatin the small stuff


From the “hmmm, so big and meaty” department……..

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, the best thing about doing a blog is the amount of freedom you have to say what you want and feel.

Ever since I started writing on the web way the fuck back in the day, I’ve had many a discussion with friends and reader’s on my habit of gleefully abusing the Kings English.

I suppose cursing is like smoking or drinking, it’s not for everyone, and everyone does it a bit differently from everyone else. But where I differ I think is that I do it so willingly, because it’s a known fact that I enjoy cursing to a great degree when I write.

My only regret is that at times I feel that I could be more descriptive, but due to content and time allowances I’m sometimes forced to stick to the tried and true basics, for I truly believe that great cursing is a lost art.

Any asshole can throw out fuck, shit, damn in any number of ways but the true artist such as Shakespeare, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Red Fox, Moms Mabley, cowboys of the Old West, old sailors were all masters when it came to cursing.

And let us not forget the fact that I was raised and educated at the feet of my father, who was a lifelong cop of the old school variety, and a master of cursing in his own right who took great delight in teaching me the word “muthafucker” and its many variations.

And I always admired the person that could jump from one language to another whilst cursing, and having been at the receiving end of a cussing done completely in a Latin tongue intermixed with English and French, I can attest to it’s cutting to the bone qualities.

It seems like lately the only people you can curse comfortably around are your close friends because I know that on the job I have to watch very carefully what I say around my co-workers.

But when I write on my blog I know that at least I can exercise my right to free speech and say whatever floats my boat.


"and the monkey flipped the switch"

9 Comments:

Blogger Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

Did you know I got reprimanded for cursing? Once in a fucking newsroom for chrissake and the other time in the fucking classroom teaching a bunch of fucking cops? Believe that shit? They told me it was because it was worse coming from a "lady." Well, fuck, obviously they were mistaken. I'm a broad, dammit.
I miss having colleagues to curse around but there's always your blog for a nice dose of muthafucker!

11:54 AM  
Blogger OMMAG said...

Ha! That's great.

BTW - That chick in the pic has an exceptionally broad smile!

2:47 PM  
Blogger SmedRock said...

Fuck Yeah! Have a great weekend Greg!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Satyavati devi dasi said...

I mean, I guess everyone has their thing that rocks the cradle.. for me, it always sounds sexy when it has a NYC accent attached to it.

I never have figured out exactly why. Seems to me like it's just the way it's supposed to be: if you're gonna cuss, you might as well sound like the pros.

(And because I'm a snob about it, I'm going to be specific: when I say NYC, I'm not talking Long Island, either. The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan... anywhere but the Island.)

Nobody says 'shut the fuck up' like a NYC construction worker.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

There are times when saying fuck is good but...Oh fuck it!

Fucking mother fucker fucking write like you fucking damn well want to fucking write. You are good and far beyond most fuckers who attempt to write.

You owe me a damn drink for this mother fucking ass kissing.

Don't worry about thanking me just fucking write.

Fuck those prissy fuckers

10:02 PM  
Blogger LL said...

I cuss too much in my real life. I can't help it. Those "fuckin' this and fuckin' that" just roll right outta me. I set my family doc back on his heels when I said something about his nurse and used the f-bomb. But I've learned that people either get me or they don't. I'll blog as I please and I'll talk as I please and everyone else can just kiss my ass.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I'm a Teamster. I run a crew of Teamsters. I stutter. Cuss words are a crutch for me to get the flow of words out. So, yeah, I cuss like a Teamster. So be it. Get over it or shut the fuck up.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Satyavati devi dasi said...

Oh, and my husband said when he goes to a job, he can always tell where the homeowners are from because Yankee women cuss like anything.

And who is photoshopping your pictures for you?!!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Greg Beck said...

no one, I find them thru google

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home